DVD Playback problems

Nik Davis nerostar450 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 00:19:58 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/22/07, Nik Davis <nerostar450 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 85 audio & 196 video codecs
> > Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
> > Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to
> > your system startup scripts.
>
> This is described in the BLFS book on the MPlayer page. I don't know
> if it will help this issue, but it'll make mplayer happy.

This was giving a warning at boot, so I undid it, but I've redone it now,
doesn't seem to make  a difference.

> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> > Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
> > ADecoder init failed :(
> > ADecoder init failed :(
> > Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
> > No accelerated IMDCT transform found
> > hwac3: switched to DTS, 768000 bps, 48000 Hz
> > AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 768.0 kbit/50.00% (ratio: 96000->192000)
> > Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm:hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
>
> It looks like this is trying to use DTS sound through ffmpeg. It looks
> like it figured out how to get through, but maybe you should try
> installing libdts. It should be listed as an optional dependency for
> mplayer and ffmpeg.
>
> http://debian.unnet.nl/pub/videolan/libdts/0.0.2/
>
> I should mention that I've never installed this program and haven't
> had issues with DVDs, but I don't think I own any that use DTS sound.

I've got this part working now, the DTS works fine.

> Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/ac3...
> > AF_pre: 48000Hz/2ch/ac3
> > [AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
> > AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
>
> Is there any reason you're using OSS? I think regular ALSA would do the
> trick.

When I first installed the LFS system I wasn't getting sound, and asked on
this list and was suggested to add:

install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe -i snd-pcm; /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

to my modprobe.conf file.  Since then my sounds worked just fine, so I've
never messed with it.  I guess that's where this comes from?

> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
> > [format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
> > [libaf] Reinitialization did not work, audio filter 'format' returned
> error
> > code -2
> > Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!
>
> I don't know what to make of all the mplayer output. That certainly
> looks bad, but I don't know enough about what it's doing to say
> whether it's critical or not.
>
> Sorry, I don't have any good advice here.
>
> --
> Dan
> --

The sound is working in everything now, but for some reason some DVDs start
at the wrong chapter or start on the wrong audio track still, and I have to
manually select the tracks and chapters to play.  At least the sound works.