DVD Playback problems

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 21:11:22 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Nik Davis <nerostar450 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 85 audio & 196 video codecs
> Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
> Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to
> your system startup scripts.

This is described in the BLFS book on the MPlayer page. I don't know
if it will help this issue, but it'll make mplayer happy.

> Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
> Cannot find codec 'dts' in libavcodec...
> ADecoder init failed :(
> ADecoder init failed :(
> Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
> hwac3: switched to DTS, 768000 bps, 48000 Hz
> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 768.0 kbit/50.00% (ratio: 96000->192000)
> Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm:hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)

It looks like this is trying to use DTS sound through ffmpeg. It looks
like it figured out how to get through, but maybe you should try
installing libdts. It should be listed as an optional dependency for
mplayer and ffmpeg.

http://debian.unnet.nl/pub/videolan/libdts/0.0.2/

I should mention that I've never installed this program and haven't
had issues with DVDs, but I don't think I own any that use DTS sound.

> Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/ac3...
> AF_pre: 48000Hz/2ch/ac3
> [AO OSS] Can't set audio device /dev/dsp to ac3 output, trying s16le...
> AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)

Is there any reason you're using OSS? I think regular ALSA would do the trick.

> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/ac3 -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
> [format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
> [libaf] Reinitialization did not work, audio filter 'format' returned error
> code -2
> Couldn't find matching filter/ao format!

I don't know what to make of all the mplayer output. That certainly
looks bad, but I don't know enough about what it's doing to say
whether it's critical or not.

Sorry, I don't have any good advice here.

--
Dan