Midi setup problems

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:06:24 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Nik Davis <nerostar450 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use a program that needs MIDI support, but I get this message
> when I try and run it:
>
> ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such
> file or directory

I think you need to manually load the kernel modules needed for
anything more than the basic snd_pcm + snd_$yourhardware. Look in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/sound/seq. At the minimum, it looks like
you'll need to modprobe snd-seq. Probably snd-seq-midi, too, if you
want MIDI. If you don't have these modules, and you aren't sure
they're built into the kernel, it might be time for a kernel rebuild.

Actually, looking at the output of `modprobe --show-depends
snd-seq-midi`, you'll probably just need to load that module and it'll
pull in all the rest.

--
Dan