Distribute my BLFS

Kevin Annies anniesk at coventry.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 10:05:35 PST 2007

Hi,

I was wondering if there has been any progress on this topic. I acknowledge that
there are ways to avoid using C/C++ (which I 'd prefer as its not my speciality).

I myself am looking towards using a shell script initiated from a LiveCD to automate parts of the installation in a
user friendly manner as my particular distro is aimed at Linux Newbies based in
my University.

This is my pre-conceptual script which however is unfinished and untested. I was wondering is I could obtain any suggestions regarding the direction i am going. In particular I would very much like to tidy up the section where I attempt to display to STDOUT what storage device are available. Is there some udev commands I could use to actually display the make of the Hard Disk?

Also please tell me of anything that you don't think will work ( I have a bad feeling about Chrooting from a script)

Appreciate any comments/sugestions

Regards
Kevin
#!/bin/bash

echo --How many hard drives are installed on this machine?

USER VALUE CAPTURED =$HDN                                 (might not need)

echo --The following ide drives have been found
ls /sys/bus/ide/devices/0.0/{*hda*,*sda*}

echo drives labelled hda are usually Primary/Master IDE
echo drives labelled hdb are usually Primary/Slave IDE
echo drives labelled hdc, usually refer to secondary IDE drives
echo SATA & SCSI drives use the same naming convention but are instead labelled sda,sdb,sdc etc

echo pleaseselect the drive you wish to partition by typing the correct drive ie; hda, hdb, sda etc

USER VALUE CAPTURED = $DRIVE
echo you will now enter the disk partitioning program. Please use extra care when removing partitons. Do not worry about filesystem formats as these will be dealt with in the next stage.

echo Please be carfull to remember your partion number designations ie; hda1,sda2.
echo Create a root partition to the size of your choice.
echo Create a swap partition of about 500MB up to 1000MB

cfdisk $DRIVE

echo Please select your root partition
USER VALUE CAPTURED  = $ROOT
echo Please select your swap partition
USSER VALUE CAPTURED = $SWAP

mke2fs -jv /dev/$ROOT
mkswap /dev/$SWAP

export TARGET=/home/TEMP               (/home/TEMP will exist on my LiveCD)

mount -v -t ext3 /dev/$ROOT $TARGET

/sbin/swapon -v /dev/$SWAP

cp -frv /{bin,lib,opt,usr,sbin,srv,media} $TARGET
cp -frv /fake/needwrite/{etc,root} $TARGET

mkdir $TARGET/boot
cp -frv /isolinux/* $TARGET/boot

mkdir -pv $TARGET/{dev,proc,sys}
mknod -m 600 $TARGET/dev/console c 5 1
mknod -m 666 $TARGET/dev/null c 1 3

mount --bind /dev $TARGET/dev

mount -vt devpts devpts $TARGET/dev/pts
mount -vt tmpfs shm $TARGET/dev/shm
mount -vt proc proc $TARGET/proc
mount -vt sysfs sysfs $TARGET/sys

chroot "$TARGET" /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin /bin/bash --login

mkdir /{home,var}
install -dv -m 0750 /root
install -dv -m 1777 /tmp /var/tmp

mkdir -v /var/{lock,log,mail,run,spool}
mkdir -pv /var/{opt,cache,lib/{misc,locate},local}