xpdf, new gcc?

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 17 11:35:08 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:09:50AM +0200, Ag. Hatzimanikas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, at 10:01 Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >  I've added epdfview to my list of things to investigate.
> >

> Are you planing to build one of the 2 D.E monsters?

 Yes.  I always build some of kde, and nowadays I build enough gnome
to let me use epiphany, gdm, gnumeric, yelp, and some of the minor
apps (I suppose abword doesn't really count as gnome).  Only about
49 libraries/packages for gnome, adding evince was no big deal, and
it seems to work a lot better than when I last tried it.  ;)

> In that case maybe it's better to use one of the native kde/gnome
> pdf frontends to poppler.
> I heard some good things about evince and I know that a lot of patches from
> the kpdf maintainer found their way into poppler.
>
> You see,there is nothing but basic functionality in epdfview (viewing
> and printing).Comparing with xpdf is slow and you can't even copy from
> the pdf document.

 Thanks for the warning.  I'll give it a trial on my current build
after I've finished kde.

ĸen