LFS/BLFS

Barius Drubeck barius.drubeck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 09:45:52 PST 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 15:37, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Le Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:28:41 +0530 "jignesh gangani"
> <jgangani at gmail.com>
>
> a écrit :
> > Hi Nicolas,
> >           If I understood correctly then this is the method in
> > which you keep track of all the files installed by a package
> > manually.
>
> Yes it is. Before installing a package, I launch filelist, then
> make install, and everything I have to do for pre-configuration,
> then I collect the new installed files. Everything is in
> /var/install-logs/, so that when I want to remove a package, I just
> do a
>
>   cat /var/install-logs/glibc-2.3.4-lib | xargs rm
>
> (just kidding ;-)
>
> It is both simple and practical, covering about all my needs .Every
> other method I tried went wrong at some time (installwatch, for
> example, never worked on my machine)
>
> >           If not then it will be of great help if you provide
> > more info on filelist method.
>
> Not sure if this is what you want, but this is my script :
>
> --- begin filelist ---
[snip]

I started with a similar approach, except I just did a find of
everything modified in the last few minutes ( find / -mmin -5 ... )
rather than diffing a before vs. after find.

The diff approach won't pick up a file that's upgraded (replaced) by
the package.  The timestamp based approach will give wrong results if
any files are 'touched' during the install.  Both methods require
that there are no other processes updating files on your system at
install time (unless in pruned dirs).

Finally I found it better to switch to the 'fakeroot' approach
(make DESTDIR=/tmp/somepkg install).  Then I just tar up the
contentents of /tmp/somepkg and uninstall becomes (simplified):
cd /; tar -tf somepkg.tar | xargs rm
If you don't want to keep the binary tarballs lying around, you can
just store a bunch of tar -t listings as text files.  (c.f.
filelist).

--
Barius