LFS/BLFS

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Fri Feb 16 06:37:11 PST 2007

Le Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:28:41 +0530 "jignesh gangani" <jgangani at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> Hi Nicolas,
>           If I understood correctly then this is the method in which you
> keep track of all the files installed by a package manually.

Yes it is. Before installing a package, I launch filelist, then make
install, and everything I have to do for pre-configuration, then I
collect the new installed files. Everything is in /var/install-logs/, so
that when I want to remove a package, I just do a

  cat /var/install-logs/glibc-2.3.4-lib | xargs rm

(just kidding ;-)

It is both simple and practical, covering about all my needs .Every other
method I tried went wrong at some time (installwatch, for example, never
worked on my machine)

>           If not then it will be of great help if you provide more info on
> filelist method.

Not sure if this is what you want, but this is my script :

--- begin filelist ---
#!/bin/sh

if [ -z $1 ]
then
    echo "Usage: $0 outputfile"
    exit 1
fi

clear

PRUNEPATH="/old /sources /download /usr/src /proc /var/install-logs /tmp /root /home /var/run /dev /mnt /var/spool /var/lock
"

PRUNEREGEX=`echo $PRUNEPATH|sed -e 's,^,\\\(^,' -e 's, ,$\\\)\\\|\\\(^,g'-e 's,$,$\\\),'`

echo "Collecting current files..."
find / -regex "$PRUNEREGEX" -prune -o -print > /var/install-logs/before-inst echo echo "Start the installation of $1 now."
echo "Press a key when you are done to continue..."
read
echo "Collecting new files..."
find / -regex "$PRUNEREGEX" -prune -o -print > /var/install-logs/after-inst cd /var/install-logs
echo "Creating difference output.."
diff before-inst after-inst > $1
echo "Modifying difference output file..."
sed s/"> "// $1 > $1-new
mv $1-new $1
cat $1 | grep / > $1-new
mv $1-new $1
echo "Removing temporary files..."
rm before-inst after-inst
echo "Opening output file in editor..."
vi $1
echo "Done"
--- end filelist ---

Hope It helps, I don't know if it can still be found on the LFS site.

\bye

--

                   Nicolas FRANCOIS
            http://nicolas.francois.free.fr