A few questions about package-management

mantiz at gmx.net mantiz at gmx.net
Mon Feb 12 08:53:23 PST 2007

Hi all,

first of all: Sorry for my bad english. :)

I'm experimenting a long time now with LFS/BLFS and i am sure that this
is a very nice way for an own, clean version of a GNU/Linux system.

But there is one thing which is bothering, namely package management.

I installed my LFS system like the book tells but with package users.
After that i installed a few packages from BLFS with the use of package
users, too, but all in /opt/package-x.xx as prefix. I made a symbolic
link for each package in the way /opt/package which points to
/opt/package-x.xx, so that i can easily update any package and undo if
there are any problems with the new version. All i need to do is to
change the symbolic link.

The handicap of this way of installation is that i have to put many
paths in my PATH-variable which is a little slow by the amount of paths.

Now the real questions :)

I think that it could be a possibility that i make for each package
symbolic links in /opt/bin, /opt/lib, etc. for each binary, lib etc.
which is installed by the package. Are there any experiences for that
method? Perhaps something i didn't mention so far. Because that way i
can only have a few paths to put in my PATH-variable.

The other thing i don't know how to handle are the dependencies for each
package. How do u know what packages u have to update, if u update one
package which has dependencies? do u write all information in one
textfile or do u try to install and fix dependency by dependency if the
installation fails?

I hope my english is not too bad. :D

greets
christian