LFS/BLFS

BLFS User blfsuser at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 12 04:20:43 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:26 +0530, jignesh gangani wrote:
>            I have just one question. What style of package management
> system did you use? (ie. symlink style or preloaded library style or
> database style) and What software did you use?(Ok , this makes two
> questions.)

Hi Jignesh, I didn't use any package management techniques and the only
software I used is that listed in the install log. I just kept the log
of what software was installed, and when, manually with the use of a
text editor. This is why the "jed" editor was one of the first things I
installed after the basic LFS.

If I wish to update anything I'll either do "make uninstall" from the
top directory of a source tree or just overwrite a package with an
updated version, but once I've got something working, and I'm happy with
it, I tend to go for the "if it isn't broken don't fix it" philosophy.

If you look at the install log, which I gave a link to, you'll see that
prior to installing ekiga I installed pwlib_v1_10_3 and opal_v2_2_4
since BLFS mentions that ekiga needs these, but this was a mistake since
ekiga will only compile against earlier versions. I just installed the
earlier versions after the newer ones and left the newer ones hanging
around in case they come in useful later. Ekiga compiled fine once the
earlier versions were installed. I have plenty of disk space so that
wasn't an issue here.

The "jed" editor was installed at least twice, once for jed itself and
again after Xorg-6.9.0 for xjed.

Links was installed three times; first so I could read LFS/BLFS,
secondly to link against openssl and the third time after Xorg-6.9.0 so
it supported graphics.

There's one benefit of this type of system management. Sometimes things
break and I really don't like asking for help, stubborn independence
there, so when this happens I spend as much time as I can trying to find
out what the problem is and how I can fix it. This approach tends to
increase my knowledge and experience which, in the long run, is more
beneficial.

Gordon