emacs on AMD64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 11 06:48:38 PST 2007

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 09:10:41PM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:
>  The bad news is
> that dired didn't do what I needed it to. I have a disk that was said to
> contain a complete linux OS and about 130Gig of data. Audio file s I
> think. They gave it to me to try and recover. I can mount the disk but
> the root of the filesystem only contains 1 directory and that has a name
> that starts with an ESC character. Everything I have tried to change the
> name to ASCII has failed. At the moment I am trying to find the root
> directory on the disk in hopes of being able to dd the data into a file
> then change the name of the directory and dd it back to the disk so I
> can see what is in it. Any thoughts on a better approach?

 Recovery of data is not my area.  If you have the space on another
disk, try dd'ing the disk/partition to a file, and trying to
manipulate the copy.  Maybe google knows something about 'data
recovery', dunno.

 There's a slim possibility that one of the backup superblocks is
going to be better.  I suppose you might be able to specify a backup
superblock in an fsck, or something, and then look in lost+found
(not very nice).  The important thing is not to trash any remaining
data while learning the process.

ĸen