CNET - Network Simulator installation

Kevin Annies anniesk at coventry.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 09:20:53 PST 2007

Greetings,

I am trying to install this software but i am comming across many problems.

The installation does not utilise ./configure and requires you edit the makefiles yourself.

FYI - the installation guide is located as follows
http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/cnet/install.html

There are several points that strike me,

"Ensure that you have the X11 window system development resources (include files and libraries) installed. For example, Redhat Linux users will require the XFree86-devel RPM"

"Have Tcl/Tk correctly installed, preferably version 8.0 or beyond, and know where its header files and libraries are installed. Note that you'll need both the Tcl/Tk runtime facilities (i.e. their shared libraries), and the Tcl/Tk development facilities (i.e. their C header files). Most "out-of-the-box" Linux distributions have the runtime facilities installed, but do not install the development facilities. If installing on a Linux machine using RPMs, you'll require both the runtime RPM and the development RPM for both Tcl and Tk."

------------------------Do BLFS conform to the pre-requisites (above)?----------------------

"Edit the Makefile to change the constants local to your installation: BINDIR, CNETDIR, MANDIR, MANEXT, and WEBDIR"

"Read and modify the C #defines in config.h, such as the full pathname of the C compiler and linker on your system. In particular, ensure that you have set values for HAVE_LONG_LONG, SIZEOF_INT, and SIZEOF_LONG, and that the value you gave to CNETDIR  in the top-level Makefile  is recorded in the string constant CNETPATH|

"Read and change site-specific constants in the Makefile for the operating system you'll be using (Makefile.linux, Makefile.sunos ...) Typically, you'll need to modify (or uncomment) CC, CFLAGS, INCLUDES, XINCLUDES, LIBDIRS, LIBS, XLIBS, BINDIR and MANDIR"

"If running a Linux(ELF) system and your system doesn't provide the libelf package, you'll need the libelf package provided in the distribution. The libelf archive library and header files should already be in their correct locations for successful compilation and linking, but you may with to uncompress, untar and build the libelf-0.6.4 package yourself (as a last resort!)".

I would assume that the linker is /usr/bin/ld & the compiler is called by /usr/bin/gcc or cc.

Anyway, my immediate problem is that make does not compile because it complains about not finding tcl or tk are both installed on my blfs.

Below are the last few lines of the make output,

gcc -ansi -O -Wall -fPIC -Ilibelf -I/usr/X11R6/include -c trace.c
gcc -ansi -O -Wall -fPIC -Ilibelf -I/usr/X11R6/include -c tcltk_notifier.c
gcc -ansi -O -Wall -fPIC -Ilibelf -I/usr/X11R6/include -c win32.c
gcc -rdynamic  -o cnet applicationlayer.o checksums.o cnetmain.o cnet64bits.o compile.o drawframes.o ethernet.o events.o exit.o error.o globals.o images.o lexical.o link_menu.o link_windows.o load.o main_window.o motd.o node_menu.o node_windows.o parser.o physicallayer.o poisson.o scheduler.o statistics.o std_application.o std_physical.o stdio.o timers.o topology.o trace.o tcltk_notifier.o win32.o -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -Llibelf -ltcl -ltk -lX11 -lelf -ldl -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltcl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [cnet] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cnet-2.0.10/src'
make: *** [it] Error 2

Please can someone guide me on what to make of this and what dubugging steps I would need to take to logically solve this and in the end successfully install this.

Thanks & Regards
Kevin

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.