emacs on AMD64

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 9 08:59:51 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 08:06:52PM -0600, Arnie Stender wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	I'm working on a problem where I need to edit a directory entry and
> need to install emacs so I can use dired. When I do the ./configure I
> get the following output.
>
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
> systems.
>
> I looked through the MACHINES file and didn't see any reference to
> AMD64. The only reference to 64 bit I saw was for Sparc and Irix. Has
> anyone compiled emacs for a pure 64 build of CLFS? As always, Thanks in
> advance for any help.
>
> Arnie

 Rang a vague bell with me, although I have no wish to develop RSI
:-)

 Back in December '05 somebody asked the same question.  Google
linked to my posting, but came up with an entirely different mail.
Fortunately, the version in its cache is still there:

http://216.239.59.104/linux?q=cache:TReC-FQgI2AJ:linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2005-December/054917.html+gentoo+portage+mirror+emacs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10

(careful with the url, it might get split across lines).  It points
to using a gentoo mirror for their amd64 patch.  At that time, the
patch needed adaptation for pure64 - I don't know if they have
updated their patch(es) since then.

ĸen