Modular X and m4 files

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:55:06 PST 2007

On 2/7/07, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>  Hi, I'm not sure if this is a problem with my own scripts (very
> likely), or with the book, or just a compatability issue for
> particular drivers.
>
>  In my builds of xorg (in /usr) I get a few m4 files installed -
> xtrans.m4 (xtrans), xorgversion.m4 (util-macros), xaw.m4 (libXaw),
> fontutil.m4 (font-util), xorg-server.m4 (xorg-server).  The odd thing
> is that these are all in /usr/lib/aclocal - everything else puts m4
> files in /usr/share/aclocal.

I think you're using old instructions. We were passing
--datadir=$XORG_PREFIX/lib because the early autotools for 7.0 were
kind of messed up and this was an easy workaround to get things to Do
the Right Thing. But, as you found out (and a lot of other people
reported), this is wrong. Especially for the autoconf macros.

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/2119

>  FWIW, the unichrome driver overwrites xorg-via's via_drv library
> but leaves libviaXvMC and the via.4 manpage untouched (if you
> already installed them).  It also gives a message to say it doesn't
> support my particular hardware (3344, unichrome 'pro' I think) :-(

Hmm, when I was going through the files for the drivers last night, I
saw that xf86-video-via-0.2.2 installs a libviaXvMC and libXvMCPro. Do
you get those?

>  Further searching brought me to openchrome - nice website, but the
> latest snapshot is from last March.  Fortunately, an svn checkout
> revealed the project is still active and shows I probably need a
> recent version for DDR2 533 memory.  The good news is that the svn
> trunk works for me - again it provides its own via_drv, but also
> libviaXvMC and via.4.  The build method is the same as for unichrome
> (it was branched from it) so I guess it also used the m4 file.  And
> it works for me. :-)

I read something about this a while back. As I understand it, there
are 3 different drivers, all with different feature sets because no
one can get along.

--
Dan