Modular X and m4 files

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 7 03:14:47 PST 2007

 Hi, I'm not sure if this is a problem with my own scripts (very
likely), or with the book, or just a compatability issue for
particular drivers.

 In my builds of xorg (in /usr) I get a few m4 files installed -
xtrans.m4 (xtrans), xorgversion.m4 (util-macros), xaw.m4 (libXaw),
fontutil.m4 (font-util), xorg-server.m4 (xorg-server).  The odd thing
is that these are all in /usr/lib/aclocal - everything else puts m4
files in /usr/share/aclocal.

 The only reason I even noticed is that my latest box uses a via
unichrome for its vga.  The via driver from xorg doesn't see the
hardware, so I tried the unichrome driver from sourceforge.  This is
built by running ./autogen.sh to build and run configure.
Unfortunately, it needs the xorg-server.m4 file to do this.  My
quick and dirty fix was to symlink to xorg's m4 files from
/usr/share/aclocal.

 FWIW, the unichrome driver overwrites xorg-via's via_drv library
but leaves libviaXvMC and the via.4 manpage untouched (if you
already installed them).  It also gives a message to say it doesn't
support my particular hardware (3344, unichrome 'pro' I think) :-(

 Further searching brought me to openchrome - nice website, but the
latest snapshot is from last March.  Fortunately, an svn checkout
revealed the project is still active and shows I probably need a
recent version for DDR2 533 memory.  The good news is that the svn
trunk works for me - again it provides its own via_drv, but also
libviaXvMC and via.4.  The build method is the same as for unichrome
(it was branched from it) so I guess it also used the m4 file.  And
it works for me. :-)

ĸen