Network card installation trouble

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 00:14:41 PST 2007

On 2/7/07, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 22:30 +0100, Tijnema ! wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Only that last piece isn't there at my screen:
> > 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> > 0000:02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at d081c400.
> >
> > all others is there
>
> Is anything present in /sys/class/net? This *should* list all network
> devices known to the kernel...
>
> Simon.
>
> --

/sys/class/net contains only lo, the loopback adaptar.

Please do not top post... You could upset some other members of the lists.

Also I would not expect you to have those lines as you are not using a
3Com NIC. But you SHOULD have some indication that the kernel is loading
the right code for the card. If not then the kernel can't "see it".

Did you check your PC's BIOS?

Alan

It doesn't show anything about my network card, i browsed dmesg about 5
times now.
I checked the bios but can;t find anything strange.

Hi:
I searched the kernel net drivers for rtl8139d. I found this driver  in
8139too.c.

I then searched for this driver
in ../linux-2.6.16.27/arch/i386/defconfig and found this...
CONFIG_8139TOO=y ( I assume your architecture is i386 )

I then looked at the subsection in the kernel config (file above) to see
where this module comes from. It says...
#
# Tulip family network device support
#

Thus, in your kernel config for pci network cards, enable tulip support.

I use the tulip driver too. In your sys log you will find...

kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 1.1.13 (May 11, 2002)
x32lfs kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] enabled at IRQ 6
x32lfs kernel: PCI: setting IRQ 6 as level-triggered
x32lfs kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0b.0[A] -> Link [LNKH] -> GSI
6 (level, low) -> IRQ 6
x32lfs kernel: tulip0: no phy info, aborting mtable build
x32lfs kernel: eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37 at 0001d800,
00:50:BF:D8:F1:6F, IRQ 6.

Or at least something similar. I don't know what that phy info stuff is
about but i never noticed any problem with my card.

So if i may be so bold to suggest, you have the wrong driver. Enable
tulip support in your kernel config. If I am wrong, sorry to waste your
time.

Shawn.

I'm recompiling my new kernel now, but i do not have time to test it right
now, please hold on, i will test it later today.

Thanks already.

Tijnema