arts-1.5.6 (KDE) refuses to build

Shawn sks at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 6 18:04:42 PST 2007

On February 6, 2007, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/6/07, john q public <public at pitchblende.org> wrote:
> > cd .. && /bin/sh
> > /mnt/new-disk/download/source/kde-build/konstruct/libs/arts/work/ar
> >ts-1.5.6/admin/missing
> >
> > --run autoheader
>
> No idea why it needs to do this. I don't recall the autotools being
> regenerated, but it's been a long time since I built arts. You might
> be able to work around this, but you'll probably have to look at the
> build files to figure it out. Can someone who actually build arts
> check whether this happens to them or not?
>
> > String found where operator expected at /tmp/ahV19166/traces.pl
> > line 126, near "#undef LTDL_SHLIB_EXT""
> >   (Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on line 125)
> >
> > lots of similar messsages then
> >
> > line 126, near "#undef LTDL_SHLIB_EXT""
> > syntax error at /tmp/ahV19166/traces.pl line 225, near "extern "C"
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm using
> > gcc g++ 3.3.1
> > glib 2.7.1
> > qt 3.3.7
> > perl 5.6.1
> > linux from scratch
> > automake 1.6
> > autoconf 2.60
>
> I think you're autotools are too new since arts is dead and
> arts-1.5.6 is old. It seems like it's choking on an autoconf macro
> there. This is something we're not handling in LFS right now
> (multiple autotools versions). I would try to install autoconf-2.59
> to an alternative spot and force arts to use the tools from there.
>
> Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to match such a new version
> of autoconf with such an old version of automake. Just on a whim, I'd
> try to use the versions from LFS-6.2, which is autoconf-2.59 and
> automake-1.9.6. A lot of people have built arts successfully on the
> current BLFS with that setup.
>
> --
> Dan

I built arts-1.5.6 from the tar sources last week. No problem.
I use the versions of automake and autoconf that Dan specified above.

Looking at ../arts-1.5.6/admin/cvs.sh, the versions of automake and
autoconf that Mr Public uses are valid. That explains why ./configure
works.

The "AC_CONFIG_HEADERS..." is the real problem here I think. For some
reason it is not being found, but it should be found because it is a
standard autoconf macro.

It doesn't hurt to try this. In the ../arts-1.5.6 directory you will
find a file aclocal.m4. To regenerate this file and pull in the macros
for your machine run 'aclocal' in the same directory. To ensure there
is no problem with your autotools setup, you can look in this file for
the "AC_CONFIG_HEADERS" definition. If it is not there, there is a
problem. Don't look for this definition before you run aclocal because
the file was originally created by the kde folks; therefore, it will be
there.

Or, do what Dan said, he's smarter than me :P

Shawn