Network card installation trouble

Shawn sks at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 6 16:01:10 PST 2007

On February 6, 2007, Tijnema ! wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Only that last piece isn't there at my screen:
> 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> 0000:02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at d081c400.
>
> all others is there
>
> tijnema
>
> On 2/6/07, Alan Lord <lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Tijnema ! wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I do not have pci utils, i wanted to install them by floppy, but
> > > somehow it fails to mount the floppy drive, it says:
> > > floppy0: probe failed
> > > and repeats that
> > >
> > > well, i searched through the dmesg output, but it says nothing
> > > about a network card loaded, it loads some TCP protocols.
> > > this might be interesting as i have only 1 pci card, (and a
> > > graphics AGP card)
> > > PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
> > >
> > > and ACPI says some PCI Interrupt Link [LNK{A,B,C,D}]
> > >
> > > i wanted to send full dmesg log to u but my floppy drive is not
> > > working, so i can't.
> > >
> > > Tijnema
> >
> > Without information this is hard to understand... When I boot my
> > old Dell Dimension with a 3com NIC (and the driver compiled in the
> > kernel) I get this sequence of messages in dmesg:

> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] enabled at IRQ 11
> > PCI: setting IRQ 11 as level-triggered
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0c.0[A] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 11
> > (level, low) -> IRQ 11
> > 3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> > 0000:02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at d081c400.
> >
> > You can see that the kernel has activated the driver for the NIC.
> >
> > If you are not getting that then it might be more fundamental. Have
> > you checked your machine's BIOS settings?
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > --

Hi:
I searched the kernel net drivers for rtl8139d. I found this driver  in
8139too.c.

I then searched for this driver
in ../linux-2.6.16.27/arch/i386/defconfig and found this...
CONFIG_8139TOO=y ( I assume your architecture is i386 )

I then looked at the subsection in the kernel config (file above) to see
where this module comes from. It says...
#
# Tulip family network device support
#

Thus, in your kernel config for pci network cards, enable tulip support.

I use the tulip driver too. In your sys log you will find...

kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 1.1.13 (May 11, 2002)
x32lfs kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] enabled at IRQ 6
x32lfs kernel: PCI: setting IRQ 6 as level-triggered
x32lfs kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0b.0[A] -> Link [LNKH] -> GSI
6 (level, low) -> IRQ 6
x32lfs kernel: tulip0: no phy info, aborting mtable build
x32lfs kernel: eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37 at 0001d800,
00:50:BF:D8:F1:6F, IRQ 6.

Or at least something similar. I don't know what that phy info stuff is
about but i never noticed any problem with my card.

So if i may be so bold to suggest, you have the wrong driver. Enable
tulip support in your kernel config. If I am wrong, sorry to waste your
time.

Shawn.