Network card installation trouble

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 6 13:28:28 PST 2007

Tijnema ! wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not have pci utils, i wanted to install them by floppy, but somehow
> it fails to mount the floppy drive, it says:
> floppy0: probe failed
> and repeats that
>
> well, i searched through the dmesg output, but it says nothing about a
> network card loaded, it loads some TCP protocols.
> this might be interesting as i have only 1 pci card, (and a graphics AGP
> card)
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
>
> and ACPI says some PCI Interrupt Link [LNK{A,B,C,D}]
>
> i wanted to send full dmesg log to u but my floppy drive is not working,
> so i can't.
>
> Tijnema

Without information this is hard to understand... When I boot my old
Dell Dimension with a 3com NIC (and the driver compiled in the kernel) I
get this sequence of messages in dmesg:

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] enabled at IRQ 11
PCI: setting IRQ 11 as level-triggered
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0c.0[A] -> Link [LNKC] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
0000:02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at d081c400.

You can see that the kernel has activated the driver for the NIC.

If you are not getting that then it might be more fundamental. Have you
checked your machine's BIOS settings?

Alan