Network card installation trouble

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 6 12:11:17 PST 2007

Tijnema ! wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few days ago i send a email to this list about my Intel 1000MT Gigabit
> card, but i think that the problem isn't in the card itself, because
> with the old card in it, it still doesn't work...
>
> My old card is, as explained in first email, is a Realtek 8139D.
>
> just when booting it says:
> "Bringing up the eth0 interface...
> Interface eth0 doesn't
> exist.                                                     [ WARN ]"
>
> that's all.
>
> I really need my network back, and dunno how to fix this.
> Please help me sorting this out.

Hi Tijnema !,

With such little information to go on, my best guess is the first place
you should be looking is at your kernel configuration. Do you have the
right driver loaded, sure it's not built as a module rather than built-in?

Check your boot up scripts, make sure they are the same as the book -
FBBG (Follow Book, Book Good)

Maybe udev isn't creating the right device node? (But that is probably
because the kernel can't understand your card...)

Just a few ideas off the top of my head to look at...

Alan