arts-1.5.6 (KDE) refuses to build

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 01:39:17 PST 2007

On 2/6/07, john q public <public at pitchblende.org> wrote:

> cd .. && /bin/sh
> /mnt/new-disk/download/source/kde-build/konstruct/libs/arts/work/arts-1.5.6/admin/missing
>
> --run autoheader

No idea why it needs to do this. I don't recall the autotools being
regenerated, but it's been a long time since I built arts. You might
be able to work around this, but you'll probably have to look at the
build files to figure it out. Can someone who actually build arts
check whether this happens to them or not?

> String found where operator expected at /tmp/ahV19166/traces.pl line
> 126, near "#undef LTDL_SHLIB_EXT""
>   (Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on line 125)
>
> lots of similar messsages then
>
> line 126, near "#undef LTDL_SHLIB_EXT""
> syntax error at /tmp/ahV19166/traces.pl line 225, near "extern "C"

<snip>

> I'm using
> gcc g++ 3.3.1
> glib 2.7.1
> qt 3.3.7
> perl 5.6.1
> linux from scratch
> automake 1.6
> autoconf 2.60

I think you're autotools are too new since arts is dead and arts-1.5.6
is old. It seems like it's choking on an autoconf macro there. This is
something we're not handling in LFS right now (multiple autotools
versions). I would try to install autoconf-2.59 to an alternative spot
and force arts to use the tools from there.

Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to match such a new version
of autoconf with such an old version of automake. Just on a whim, I'd
try to use the versions from LFS-6.2, which is autoconf-2.59 and
automake-1.9.6. A lot of people have built arts successfully on the
current BLFS with that setup.

--
Dan