restored a backup and can't su to root now

P R Figueiredo pedrorfigueiredo at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 4 06:39:01 PST 2007

Baho Utot wrote:
> Check that su is SUID
>
> [scrat at scrat ~]$ ls -la /bin/su
> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 24060 Jan 10 10:06 /bin/su

Yep, that was it, thanks. It seems permissions were not copied through
the backup process. For instance, now the /tmp dir wasn't writeable by
common users either. I'm kind of worried that there's more stuff messed
up. I used some back up instructions that were mentioned on this list a
couple of weeks ago, with "cp -dpRv". Shouldn't this command correctely
copy all the file permissions?

Thanks again,
Pedro