Using Squashfs on a bootable cd to compress /usr

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 10:23:09 PST 2007

On 2/3/07, Kevin Annies <anniesk at coventry.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have inserted the mount usr.sqsh command at this point because the following chroot command is executed from the just newly mounted / system. The pain is the chroot binary happens to be in /usr/bin which at this time is compressed. However, the archive does not uncompress at this time becuase the loop device does not exist on the initrd. I could try adding it but then woulit not become invalid as soon as I chroot? SO should I put the mount command in twice as a result or perhaps use a mount bind type of command? In addition could I add a second mount into one of the rc.d scripts?

Sorry, this is not my area of expertise. You might get better support
on the live-cd mailing list since they do this (I think). You could
try to copy the LiveCD initramfs creation:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/browser/trunk/packages/initramfs

However, one other thing you can do is check out David Zeuthen's livecd-tools.

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/david/livecd-tools.git;a=summary

He works for RedHat, and the tools are used to generate Fedora live
CDs. You probably can't use them directly because they have some
Fedoraisms, but I would look at his mkinitrd replacement, mayflower.
It has support for booting squashfs from the initramfs.

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=users/david/livecd-tools.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=creator/mayflower

Maybe that can give you some extra ideas.

--
Dan