encoding: smb:/ in konqueror

juras juras at kaptah.homelinux.net
Thu Feb 1 15:49:34 PST 2007

Can anyone confirm my obserwations?

I use samba 3.0.23c and KDE-3.5.5
kio_smb_slave must have a bug.

I tried to create new file with a name containing polish letters in the shared
WinXP directory (in konqueror smb://windoza/i18n)
and the filename is readable only in konqueror. I get strange characters in
windows.

smbclient from the command-line handles the same task properly.
kioslave uses the same library - libsmbclient.so

But in fact I am a little confused.
As can be read in documentation, samba talks utf-8. So why I have to use the
codepage option to mount the share from winXP with proper filenames encoding,
i.e.

smbmount //windoza/i18n /home/juras/smb -o iocharset=iso8859-2,codepage=cp852

BTW.
There is another strange thing:
I can add a line to fstab, to mount samba resources, but I cannot use any
option, which is not understood by smbmount (man says differently).

For example, I had in my fstab a line:

//windoza/mp3 /media/smb smbfs \
noauto,user,iocharset=iso-88592,codepage=cp852,username=juras,password=xxxx 0 0

to be able to mount /media/smb when needed.

However, noauto and user option causes smbmount to generate error (in kern.log):
Feb  2 00:42:21 kaptah kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noauto

and seems to ignore the rest of options (at least the option codepage).
In fact the filesystem is mounted but with wrong encoding.

I do not expect simple explanation. Just confirm anyone if you observe something
similar.

Regards,
   juras