Setting ip address

Ellis Wilson xclski at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 17:42:53 PDT 2007

Hi all.

As an introduction, I've used LFS and BLFS for some
time now; my desktop
has seen many compilations of the sort over the past 2
years, and I've
constructed a number of servers using the methodology.

My project right now, however, is causing me a tiny
bit of grief (in an
area that I'm sure will paint me as a neophyte).  I'm
using LFS and
selected packages from BLFS on a small compute cluster
for chemical
research.  As a proof of concept, I'm using a cheap
100mbit workgroup
switch for my internode communications.
Unfortunately, since I've
always utilized dhcpcd for ip configuration, I've
never needed to
manually deal with the issue.

My Problem:
When I start up my four nodes on the switch, they all
read IP Address
192.168.1.1, which obviously won't work for internode
communication.  I
have the hostnames set differently, I have added all
the nodes to the
network file in /etc/sysconfig, and still they start
up with all the
same ip address.

I've done a quick search through the
linuxfromscratch.com for previous
emails about this, and googled the issue, but they all
point to a
program ifconfig.  I'd rather do this by hand and
learn what's going on
myself, so any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Ellis