Kernel 2.6.21 BUG?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Apr 29 19:41:17 PDT 2007

alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> - Alex:
>  <snip>
>  BUG: at arch/i386/kernel/smp.c:546 smp_call_function()
>  [<c010d965>] smp_call_function+0x125/0x130
>  [<........>] ... (Twenty lines of this nature)
>  [<c0341570>] unknown_bootoption+0x0/0x240
>  <snip>
>
> - Alexander E. Patrakov:
> 1) Tell us the kernel line in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file
> 2) Complain to LKML <linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org>,
>    including 20 lines that you snipped

> - 1. I haven't touched that line since day one.
>   I don't see its relevance, anyway.

It is relevant because "unknown_bootoption" is in the oops.

>   Even the 2.6.21 kernel works fine until you try to network.

Try 2.6.21.1, it includes a network-related fix. If it still doesn't work,
complain to LKML.

>   2.  I'm a little shell-shocked since I last got entangled into kernel mailing lists.

To avoid re-traumatization, you may want to submit a draft of your bug
report to me before actually sending it to LKML. Just be sure to include all
lines that are present in your oops (and a bit of information above and
below that), and the kernel line in menu.lst. Then you will be probably
asked to rebuild your kernel several times with exactly the same config, but
with some patches applied.

>   It still crashes on the slightest attempt at networking
>   but at least with a different screen - to keep it interesting, I suppose.
>   FWIW (maybe an astute and generous soul might detect a clue):
>  1. Process swapper ...
>  2. Stack ...
>  5. Call Trace:
>     [<f88d2635>] sis900_interrupt+0x625/0x6a0 [sis900]
> 19. =======================
> 20. Code: 00 ...
>      24 ...
>      c0 ...
> 23. EIP [c024fde4] skb_over_panic+0x54/0x60 SS:ESP 0068:c033debc
> 24. Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

The usual procedure to deal with this is to either use a serial console, or
take a photo of the screen, upload somewhere, and post a link to it. But I
see that the sis problem is already reported by Brett Ryland, so you may
just sit and watch.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov