firefox-1.5.0.9 build error

Jim McConville jhmc at xmission.com
Tue Apr 24 11:24:18 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 08:42, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Jim McConville <jhmc at xmission.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 23 April 2007 08:51, Jim McConville wrote:
> > > firefox-1.5.0.9 build error
> > >
> > > I am following BLFS-6.2  in building firefox-1.5.09.
> > > 1. The .mozconfig file exists.
> > > 2. The patches have been applied
> > > 3. The editing with 'sed' is completed.
> > > When the  command     'make -f client.mk build' is executed it
> > > terminates with the following:
> > > /sources/mozilla/widget/src/gtkxtbin/gtk2xtbin.c:407: warning:
> > > redeclaration of 'gtk_xtbin_resize' with different visibility (old
> > > visibility preserved)
> > > /sources/mozilla/widget/src/gtkxtbin/gtk2xtbin.h:110: warning: previous
> > > declaration of 'gtk_xtbin_resize' was here
> > > make[3]: *** [gtk2xtbin.o] Error 1
>
> I've never heard of this error on x86, but there used to be problems
> using GCC visibility on various arches. You can try to disable it by
> adding the setting
>
> ac_cv_visibility_pragma=no
>
> to your .mozconfig.

I will try this suggestion and report the results.

> > I have resolved the problem by revising the .mozconfig file.  It seems
> > the appropriate toolkit needs to be xlib.  It was also necessary to
> > disable freetype2.
>
> That's too bad. What version of freetype is this? What was the error
> with freetype? If you're patient enough to wait out of firefox build,
> I'd suggest adding my suggestion to the original .mozconfig and trying
> again. You're definitely missing out on some things with no gtk
> support.

Freetype version is freetype-2.1.10

The failed compilation ended with:
/sources/mozilla/gfx/src/freetype/nsFreeType.cpp: In member function 'PRBool
nsFreeType2::InitLibrary()':
 /sources/mozilla/gfx/src/freetype/nsFreeType.cpp:671: error: 'mImageCache'
was not declared in this scope
make[5]: *** [nsFreeType.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/sources/firefox-build/gfx/src/freetype'
make[4]: *** [libs] Error 2

> Oh, yeah, about freetype. You definitely would want to disable it.
> Mozilla had some super-broken stuff in there. But, if you get the gtk2
> toolkit build going it will disable freetype by default. It can't hurt
> to --disable-freetype2, though.
>
> > Some information relative to selecting these options can be obtained from
> > the following site:
> > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Configuring_Build_Options#Using_a_.m
> >ozconfig_Configuration_File
>
> That's a good one.