firefox-1.5.0.9 build error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 07:42:38 PDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Jim McConville <jhmc at xmission.com> wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007 08:51, Jim McConville wrote:
> > firefox-1.5.0.9 build error
> >
> > I am following BLFS-6.2  in building firefox-1.5.09.
> > 1. The .mozconfig file exists.
> > 2. The patches have been applied
> > 3. The editing with 'sed' is completed.
> > When the  command     'make -f client.mk build' is executed it terminates with
> > the following:
> > /sources/mozilla/widget/src/gtkxtbin/gtk2xtbin.c:407: warning:
> > redeclaration of 'gtk_xtbin_resize' with different visibility (old
> > visibility preserved) /sources/mozilla/widget/src/gtkxtbin/gtk2xtbin.h:110:
> > warning: previous declaration of 'gtk_xtbin_resize' was here
> > make[3]: *** [gtk2xtbin.o] Error 1

I've never heard of this error on x86, but there used to be problems
using GCC visibility on various arches. You can try to disable it by
adding the setting

ac_cv_visibility_pragma=no

to your .mozconfig.

> I have resolved the problem by revising the .mozconfig file.  It seems the
> appropriate toolkit needs to be xlib.  It was also necessary to disable
> freetype2.

That's too bad. What version of freetype is this? What was the error
with freetype? If you're patient enough to wait out of firefox build,
I'd suggest adding my suggestion to the original .mozconfig and trying
again. You're definitely missing out on some things with no gtk
support.

Oh, yeah, about freetype. You definitely would want to disable it.
Mozilla had some super-broken stuff in there. But, if you get the gtk2
toolkit build going it will disable freetype by default. It can't hurt
to --disable-freetype2, though.

> Some information relative to selecting these options can be obtained from the
> following site:
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Configuring_Build_Options#Using_a_.mozconfig_Configuration_File

That's a good one.

--