Human-Machine Interface questions

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 04:43:48 PDT 2007

On 4/24/07, Koenraad Lelong <lfs at ace-electronics.be> wrote:
> Hi,
> I built a BLFS system to run a GUI HMI application. I would like to know
> if it is possible to run the application without logging in. And when
> the application is terminated by the user, the system should shutdown.
> Any pointers, documents, etc. I could study ?
> B.T.W. The application should be able to access hardware resources, so
> needs root-rights.
> --
> Kind regards,
> Koenraad Lelong
> R&D Manager
> ACE electronics n.v.

You'll want to start it inside a bootscript. look at
/etc/rc.d/init.d/template for a template script.
Then create a link starting with S followed by a 2digit number and a
name in the /etc/rc.d/rc1.d, and create 2 links starting with K
followed by a 2digit number and a name in /etc/rc.d/rc0.d and
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d all pointing to the script created in /etc/rc.d/init.d

About the other problem, letting the system halt when the program
exits I have a solution, i'm not sure if it will work, or if there's a
better way.

create a new shell script like this:
#!/bin/bash
# Start the GUI HMI app and shutdown the system when killed
appname
halt

Save it like start-hmi.sh in /sbin for example.
Then you can add something like
/sbin/start-hmi.sh &
to your new script in /etc/init.d under the start switch.
I'm not sure what there needs to be under the stop switch, but you
want to kill the app using a pid file.

Tijnema