KDE can't automount

michael lang kingoipo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 02:47:20 PDT 2007

After a bit of messing around, I finally got kde to work(kdm wouldn't detect
it as a startable WM) but now I can't let KDE handle my DVD/CD mounts. The
error that pops up is "Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mtab". I have no
idea how to fix it, and googling didn't show any helpful information either.
One weird thing though, is even with chmod 1777, root can't do "touch
/media/.hal-mtab", somehow it denies the permission. Note that /media is not
a seperate partition, and neither is something like amarok running(these are
the problems google showed me). Does any of you know how to fix this?

Michael