Startx error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:31:15 PDT 2007

On 4/22/07, Yohi <yramirez at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, i just install all the Gnome packages, when i do the startx this what
> i get:
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
>
> removing from list!
>
>  Fatal server error:
>
>  could not open default font 'fixed'
>

> I install all the xorg fonts, and i have the directorios in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID

In addition to the actual fonts, you need the encodings and font-alias
packages. Additionally, you need the mkfontdir and mkfontscale
applications.

The fixed font lives in $XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts/misc. If you have
everything in place, you should have:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.{alias,dir,scale}

If the any of the fonts.* files (in addition to the actual fonts,
*.pcf.gz), then something's gone wrong. Run "mkfontdir
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" and "mkfontscale
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc". The fonts.alias file comes from the
font-alias package.

And then, obviously, you need the fonts/misc path in the Xorg search path.

> i dont know what else to do.
>
> Something else, the XFS script is missing.
>
> My xfs is intall, when i do the /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs status, i got xfs is
> not running but pid file exits.

We have an xfs bootscript? I didn't know that. I don't see it in the
BLFS repo. Could you attach it? I have a feeling it's a bug in
handling the pid file. I just fixed these in LFS a week or so ago.

--
Dan