Skype

Joel Means jmeans at physics.tamu.edu
Sun Apr 22 09:37:09 PDT 2007

michael lang wrote:
> So, I downloaded skype for linux a bit back, and encountered the
> following error:
>
> ./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot
>
> This happens with both the dynamic QT and static QT packages, and I have
> no idea how to install the missing lib. I already tried installing
> gcc-3.4.6(with a program suffix, so it doesn't overwrite version 4.1.2
> of gcc), but to no avail. Any ideas?
>
> --------
> kernel: 2.6.20.7 <http://2.6.20.7>
> LFS: SVN-20070416

I don't know if that was a typo when you put gcc-3.4.6, but you need to
install gcc-3.3.6 and make sure that you have the library location in
your ldconfig file.  Or, if you follow the book, you move the
libstdc++.so.5* files to /usr/lib anyway.  Look here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/gcc3.html

Joel