Increase LOG Level of startup of Xorg

Wilco Beekhuizen wilcobeekhuizen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 03:37:51 PDT 2007

2007/4/19, Michael Chalvatzis <glykos at gmx.net>:
> Hello forum,
>
> I installed Xorg 7.1 described like in BLFS. Now when I start X by executing
> "startx" (starting only one xterm client) the GUI freezes and I have to switch
> off my whole PC in order resolve this freeze/crash.
>
> I use the "ati" driver that in turn starts the sub driver "radeon". I get the
> graphical interface of X, but it looks like as soon as the X-clients starts the
> whole Xorg crashes. So I would like to increase the log messages in order to see
> after next reboot, what made X to crash!
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Cheers, Michael
>
> --

See the manpage of Xorg. There are some suggestions, -logverbose is
something you may want.
It also helps to remove ~/.xinitrc and start X using xinit not startx.
Then run an app and see what happens. Another option is to startx from
another linux computer in your LAN and see X on the main computer and
see all output on the other one.

Good luck!