saveguard lfs system

William Harrington wwh20610 at cmsu2.cmsu.edu
Wed Apr 18 22:26:51 PDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 11:47 PM, jignesh gangani wrote:

> Hi,
>     As far as I now when you take a backup (using cp -a) and store
> it on CD/DVD, when you restore you may lost some permission on
> files. e.g. su losts it set-uid bit, /tmp losts it's saved-text bit
> and files may lost write permission. I haven't burned the tar.bz2
> file on a CD/DVD. After restoring the backup you may have to change
> lots of permissions. So the best solution I have found is to copy
> all files  to another HD (of you have one extra, a small one will
> do) having the same file system as your CLFS (ext2, ext3, reiserfs
> etc). This way you can just copy the backup files and there will be
> no need for changing permission or so.
> --
>
> Jignesh D. Gangani
> --

Hi there,

	It's best to use some archiving method that will retain
permissions... like tar!
cp -a does -dpR  which is:

-d same as --no-dereference --preserve=link E
-p same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
-R same as -r --recursive copy directories recusively

When you use a medium as cd or dvd using iso9660   use tar, not cp,
ok? As far as I know, when you copy from a CD the files end up being
read only and whatever else,  you need to use tar or cpio and put it
all in it's own container. Use tar to retain permissions! tar then
back up, and if you use a character device like a tape, you can just
tar to that device. tar cpf!

Sincerely,

William