stealing/viewing a tty/process

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Apr 11 04:45:50 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 11:48 +0200, Warren Head wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm not sure how to google on this, its probably something simple but
> I don't know how to call it.
> I have a ssh connection to my machine and am thus connected to a tty.
> If I connect again I have a different tty, so two in total.
> How can I switch tty's between these connections?
> Say I started a huge command on one tty and the connection broke....,
> the command is now waiting on input from me, but I can't give it
> because I'm not connected to this process/tty, whatever.

Not possible on a basic LFS system, but as Jeremy suggested, take a look
at Screen. It doesn't allow you to migrate programs using an existing
tty, but if you expect to need the feature, you can start a screen
session to run your commands, then detach the screen session and
re-attach in a different window.

My usual use for it is to ssh to a computer at work from home, kick off
some long-running command, and detach - then re-attach it on a local
xterm once I get in to work the next day. It's also good for when you
don't need to move between computers, but have to deal with an
intermittent network connection.

Simon.