Upgrade Kernel to 2.6.20.x Problem

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:41:31 PDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Jeffrey Bush <bushj at rpi.edu> wrote:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel Panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> My current root= is /dev/hda1 which is how it was when I had the original
> kernel (2.6.16). I have since tried /dev/hdx1 with x=a-d. I have also tried
> /dev/sdx1 with x=a-e because when I use the LFS LiveCD the hard drive shows
> up as sda1.

This is the source of the problem. Moving up to 2.6.20 will cause the
*ATA drivers to got through libata and the SCSI layer by default. So,
after you get the correct modules sorted out, it will end up being
/dev/sd*. Actually, I'm not sure if that's the default setup, but I
think it's the right thing to do.

> My current kernel configuration has every single SATA and PATA driver
> installed, and I have tried just Intel PIIX/ICH SATA Support (my motherboard
> is Intel ICH7M/945GM - M for mobile). I also have ext2 and ext3 filesystem
> support installed. None of these are modules.
<snip>
> So, I guess the main thing is, what other options (like in "ATA/ATAPI...
> support" or "SCSI device support") should be also enabled or disabled?

Sounds like you're probably missing the SCSI bits. Start enabling
stuff in "SCSI device support" and "SCSI support type". If those
headings don't exist, look at the generated .config file and check for
CONFIG_SCSI, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_S[DG]. You probably don't need any of the
actual SCSI drivers, but you'll probably want CONFIG_ATA and
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX if you don't have them already. Also, check for
CONFIG_PATA_JMICRON, which very well could be your PATA chipset (this
will show up in lspci output).

Again, I could be wrong about this being the default setup, but it
works for me on a couple of Intel based motherboards and libata is the
future for PATA/SATA.

--
Dan