gnome-mount and drive icon labels

dperkins at frii.com dperkins at frii.com
Mon Apr 9 16:01:03 PDT 2007

> This is probably dead now, but I was on vacation.
>
> On 4/5/07, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 22:46 -0600, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
>> > I'm not sure which program... gnome-mount, gnome-volume-manager, or
>> > nautilus... is responsible for putting labels under drive icons on the
>> > desktop, but does anyone know if it is possible to have better icon
>> > labels than "3.8 GB Removable Volume"?
>>
>> It's probably Nautilus responsible for the labels, and yes, it is
>> possible. Far as I can tell, the preferred label is actually the volume
>> ID if there is one (as reported by HAL) - otherwise it falls back to
>> creating a label based on other information.
>
> I think it's actually gnome-vfs which handles this, but it queries HAL
> about partitions/volumes. Not that it makes this any easier. Maybe you
> can use a HAL fdi file to set the label accordingly so it's picked up
> by gnome-vfs. Not sure about that.
>
>> I've actually got two flash drives plugged in right now - one shows up
>> as "LFSDisk", the other as "1.9 GB Removable Volume". They're identical
>> hardware, but the first has been reformatted as ext2 and given a label.
>
> This would be the simplest way. You can use tune2fs to set a label for
> the volume if it's ext2/3.
>
> # /sbin/tune2fs -L MyLabel /dev/thepartition
>
> --
> Dan
> --

I started searching how to do this, but I had to set it aside to build a
new computer.  I expected that to be easy since I have done it a few times
without incident.  This box gives me a "console shuts up  kernel panic -
not syncing message", so I expect I might not be returning to the drive
icon label for a few days.