Upgrade Kernel to 2.6.20.x Problem

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 9 04:04:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 03:28 -0400, Jeffrey Bush wrote:
> Luckily I made sure to keep the other kernel around and am now dual
> booting the two. Is it alright to have their System.map-2.6.x.x,
> config-2.6.x.x and kernel images in the same boot folder?

Yes, this should be perfectly fine - that's the main reason for
including the versions in the file names. Having the ability to revert
to a previous version can be a big help when something goes wrong like
this.

As to the actual problem, this particular error seems to be quite common
(going by Google results), but unfortunately appears to have a wide
variety of causes.

From what I can see (could be wrong), the fact that it's referring to a
block 0,0 indicates that the problem is in finding the device at all -
if it was a filesystem problem, the numbers would identify the
major/minor device numbers it was trying to boot from. So, I'd suggest
checking the hardware drivers again, and trying again to spot any useful
messages that might come out - a common one seems to be "can't open root
device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)".

Simon.