Upgrade Kernel to 2.6.20.x Problem

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 01:34:23 PDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Jeffrey Bush <bushj at rpi.edu> wrote:

> I just installed the latest LFS (version 6.2) completely and installed many
> BLFS programs. The LFS book is designed to install Linux kernel version
> 2.6.16.x. After getting this far I found out that the newest kernel supports
> graphics drivers for my graphics card and 2.6.16 does not.
>

> I am a newbie at doing everything from scratch though…so I don't know if an
> upgrade is actually feasible. I tried just downloading the source code for
> the newest stable kernel, and set all the options like I did previously,
> compiled, copied, and modified /boot/grub/menu.lst.
>

> Along came a problem. Now doing bootup it says:
>
> "Kernel Panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> The hard drive detection information is way off the screen and scrolls by
> too fast so I cannot see it. I have tried enabling scrolling for it but it
> does not seem to work. I have tried installing just the PATA and SATA
> drivers for my mobo and also tried all SATA and PATA drivers without luck. I
> have installed all of the appropriate filesystem drivers (Ext3). Still no
> luck. Is there something else I need to enable? I have tried doing
> root=/dev/xxx1 with every combination I thought possible for xxx (hdx and
> sdx). I have also tried playing around with using the root=0xXXX stuff with
> no luck.
>

> Do I need to update the installed kernel headers? There are only a few
> warning compile messages, no errors. If I update the installed kernel
> headers does it mean that I have to also reinstall any software that used
> them? Should I just start over?
>

> Luckily I made sure to keep the other kernel around and am now dual booting
> the two. Is it alright to have their System.map-2.6.x.x, config-2.6.x.x and
> kernel images in the same boot folder?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

Ok, a few things, first you should look at the thread that was around
this list a few days ago: "LFS 6.2 warns about 2.6.17 or newer
kernels", or read it in the archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/msg07471.html

Second, I see you have ext3 enabled, try enabling ext2 and see if it
can mount your hard drive as ext2 (ext3 is backward compatible with
ext2).

and third, you might want to check out this site:
http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/
All about intel graphics drivers on linux, also for older kernels. (I
guess you're using your built in Intel graphics chip?)

Tijnema