Building LFS/BLFS on USB.

Tijnema ! tijnema at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 07:21:34 PDT 2007

On 4/7/07, Michael Shell <list1 at michaelshell.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:09:25 +0200
> "Tijnema !" <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > ps. I don't know if it is a big problem, but i have no device nodes in
> > /dev, except /dev/console. I tried to copy them from my system, but i
> > can't because they act like very big files..., and so i get a error
> > msg that there's no space left on the device. So, do i need to force
> > udev or something to create devices in /mnt/initrd/dev?
>

> Use:
>
> cp -a
>
> -a is the same as -dpPR and the -R option treats special files
> as special files.
>
> FWIW, cp -a can use used to backup a running system (well, as long as
> things aren't running that are making changes to the filesystem). A big
> problem is that cp -a / /mnt/backupdisk will descend into /mnt. The -x
> option may help here, but a lot of cp's out there have a broken -x
> implementation. Also, it's still a problem if you have mounted
> filesystems you want to back up. Putting it all in a script seems to be
> the way to go.
>
> I always thought that it would be handy to have a wildcard that meant
> "all except for this match". Some syntax like:
>
> cp -a /*!mnt /mnt/backup
>
> which would copy everything except /mnt
>

>  Mike Shell

Well, cp -a didn't work for me. It says that there's no space left on
the device, while there's just a few % is used on my virtual file
system. I have a file of 300K, i made an ext2 fs on it, and then i
mounted it with -o loop, and then the cp does only copy a few files
and then tells me the disk is full. and when i do a df it says i still
have 270K left. weird huh?

But i think that's not related to the problem, i will try to use udev
or something like that later.

I tried 3 configurations, this is my syslinux.cfg file:

DEFAULT linux26
APPEND initrd=initrd.gz rootdelay=10 init=/etc/start
TIMEOUT 300

PROMPT 1
DISPLAY 1.msg
F1 1.msg
LABEL devrd
KERNEL linux26
APPEND initrd=initrd.gz rootdelay=10 root=/dev/rd/0 init=/etc/start
LABEL devram
KERNEL linux26
APPEND initrd=initrd.gz rootdelay=10 root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/start
LABEL nodev
KERNEL linux26
APPEND initrd=initrd.gz rootdelay=10 init=/etc/start

And this are the result on the screen for each configuration:

devrd:

No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs at unknown-block(0,0)

devram:

No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs at unknown-block(1,0)

nodev:

No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs at unknown-block(8,1)

I thought this is probably useful information :)

Any idea what i need to do to fix this?

Thank you,

Tijnema