Building LFS/BLFS on USB.

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Apr 8 01:03:12 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 16:48 -0400, Michael Shell wrote:
> I also have often wanted cp to be able to do something
> like:
>
> cp *.txt *.tex
>
> to make copies of all .txt files with the same name, but ending with
> .tex. That is, I'd like cp to have some or all of the functionality
> of the "to" option of rename.

Yeah, the rename command is kind of nice there. Even so, I usually don't
remember it, and just resort to using shell scripting commands - it
might not be so efficient, but to an experienced shell user it's almost
automatic to do things that way.

> Another Unix "feature" that always bugged me is that the -d option
>
> ls -d *
>
> is needed to prevent ls from descending into subdirectories. The
> default behavior of ls, IMHO, is just sick. (Who the heck is
> responsible for that one?)

Really? It's always seemed perfectly sensible to me - if I run ls with a
directory parameter, it ought to provide a listing of that directory.
Other people's usage patterns may vary, but in 90% of cases, listing the
given directory is exactly what I want.

Simon.