creating sym-links to fedora /usr/lib

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Apr 7 02:58:56 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 01:34 +0530, anirudh vij wrote:
> i do not not have the  disk space to build all of the "not found"
> libs.Will creating symlinks to them in /usr/lib be good enough?or will
> it screw up the system  later?

It *might* work. On the other hand, it might not - you might get
problems with binary compatibility, depending on what versions of the
libraries you're running. That said, I can't see any way it could
seriously screw up your system - as long as you don't overwrite any
existing files, you could always just go back and remove the unwanted
links. Or, just add the path to Fedora to /etc/ld.so.conf, and
everything ought to work at runtime.

One caution though - letting LFS access the libraries from Fedora is
easy. The problem will be building Evince. It'll be using pkg-config to
find the include files from libgnomeui and others, and even if you point
pkg-config at the Fedora config files, those won't be returning correct
paths, so it won't find anything. You could resolve that by symlinking
stuff from /usr/include as well, but it seems like a lot of work.

What might be simplest is to add the Fedora /usr/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf,
then just run the Fedora copy of Evince. If that works, it's a lot
easier than any of the suggestions above.

Simon.