Building LFS/BLFS on USB.

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Fri Apr 6 15:00:47 PDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:09:25 +0200
"Tijnema !" <tijnema at gmail.com> wrote:

> ps. I don't know if it is a big problem, but i have no device nodes in
> /dev, except /dev/console. I tried to copy them from my system, but i
> can't because they act like very big files..., and so i get a error
> msg that there's no space left on the device. So, do i need to force
> udev or something to create devices in /mnt/initrd/dev?

Use:

cp -a

-a is the same as -dpPR and the -R option treats special files
as special files.

FWIW, cp -a can use used to backup a running system (well, as long as
things aren't running that are making changes to the filesystem). A big
problem is that cp -a / /mnt/backupdisk will descend into /mnt. The -x
option may help here, but a lot of cp's out there have a broken -x
implementation. Also, it's still a problem if you have mounted
filesystems you want to back up. Putting it all in a script seems to be
the way to go.

I always thought that it would be handy to have a wildcard that meant
"all except for this match". Some syntax like:

cp -a /*!mnt /mnt/backup

which would copy everything except /mnt

  Mike Shell