Building LFS/BLFS on USB.

Lauri Kasanen curaga at operamail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:05:49 PDT 2007

> Hi,
> I want to build a LFS/BLFS system on a USB pendrive. I have a 1GB
> pendrive, from which i want to boot through Floppy drive. What i have
> now is a LFS system installed on the USB stick. I created a very small
> kernel that is about 990K, so that it fits on my floppy :) It has USB
> storage drivers and ext2 drivers built in. I installed syslinux on my
> floppy, and it does boot the floppy, then i tell syslinux to boot the
> small kernel, and load an initrd file. I created this myself so i'm
> not sure if i did it right.
> This is the part of my syslinux.cfg file:
>
> KERNEL kern26
> APPEND initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/etc/start
>
> First I didn't had the root=/dev/ram0 item, but it doesn't make any
> difference. It also doesn't make any sense if i replace it with
> root=/dev/rd/0 as some sites suggest. After the kernel loads, and the
> initrd.gz is uncompressed. It gives me the error:
>
> No filesystem could mount root, tried:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> So what did i do wrong? It should mount the initrd file and start
> /etc/start script in the initrd file right? There i've written a
> script to mount USB and do the work there. But it seems that the
> /etc/start script is never executed because it doesn't mount the
> initrd file?
> What me confuses is that it didn't try to mount any filesystem, as
> there isn't anything after the tried:
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tijnema
>
> ps. Using the 2.6.20.4 kernel from LFS SVN.

Is the usb stick vfat? If it is, add the driver...
I think you could just drop the initrd and boot straight to usb; like
APPEND root=/dev/sda1

I can't help more than that, never used syslinux or initrd..
Though I did create a 2-floppy system for building LFS with the livecd, but that's another story.. Anyway it runs solely in ram but using a normal ram disk instead of initrd...

Lauri