gnome-mount and drive icon labels

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 5 03:02:11 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 22:46 -0600, Dennis J Perkins wrote:
> I'm not sure which program... gnome-mount, gnome-volume-manager, or
> nautilus... is responsible for putting labels under drive icons on the
> desktop, but does anyone know if it is possible to have better icon
> labels than "3.8 GB Removable Volume"?

It's probably Nautilus responsible for the labels, and yes, it is
possible. Far as I can tell, the preferred label is actually the volume
ID if there is one (as reported by HAL) - otherwise it falls back to
creating a label based on other information.

I've actually got two flash drives plugged in right now - one shows up
as "LFSDisk", the other as "1.9 GB Removable Volume". They're identical
hardware, but the first has been reformatted as ext2 and given a label.

Simon.