Gimp and the ldconfig command

Wilco Beekhuizen wilcobeekhuizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 09:54:47 PDT 2007

2007/4/2, Kevin Annies <anniesk at coventry.ac.uk>:

> Hi,
>
> This is just a simple question of curiosity.
>
> When I installed Gimp, when attempting to run the 'gimp' command the command
> failed and output a message indicating it cannot find its shared libaries.
> After tying numerous options, i typed the 'ldconfig' command. This seemed to
> fix the problem. I was wondering why this is the case as I don't recall
> needing to modify the ld.so.conf.
>
> Any comments are appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Kevin
>

>  ________________________________
>

> NOTICE
>
> This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee
> only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged.
> Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you
> should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for
> the purpose of delivery to the addressee.
>
> Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author
> and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University.
> --

You can check the manpage of ldconfig with a more detailed explanation
but the main problem is the gimp is linked to certain libraries such
as /usr/lib/libgimpwidgets-2.0.so.0. Now, if you are a programmer who
wants to link against this library you want to link against
libgimpwidgets, not /usr/lib/...so.0.... This is because you don't
care where the library is and what the exact name is in most cases.
ldconfig updates the library cache so the gimp nows where it can find
libgimpwidgets without knowing the exact file location.