Xfce 4.4

Scott Czepiel sczepiel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 00:06:17 PDT 2007

I highly recommend Xfce 4.4 to anyone looking for a fast,
asethetically-pleasing, and bloat-free alternative to Gnome and Kde.
4.4has many new features over version
4.2 which is currently featured in the BLFS book, and it is well worth
upgrading.  If you already enjoy 4.2, you will love 4.4.

I had a trouble-free installation loosely following the existing directions
in the book, and adapting them according to Wilco's excellent suggestions
here:

http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-support/2007-March/062206.html

Three things I had to do that weren't readily obvious in the documentation:

1) vte 0.12.2 complained loudly (aka. make error) about not having python
until explicitly passing --disable-python to configure.

2) vte also complained about not being able to find a freetype header file.
The code was looking in /usr/include/freetype, but my freetype installation
has put its header files into /usr/include/freetype2/freetype.  I assume
other applications will run into the same expectation so my solution was to
simply make a symlink that everybody will be happy with:

cd /usr/include &&
ln -sv freetype2/freetype freetype

3) D-BUS.  If you haven't done this already, you need to do the following so
that dbus will run correctly.  I found this out after suffering repainting
issues that made the desktop unusable.  Running this fixed the problems:

dbus-uuidgen --ensure

Read 'man dbus-uuidgen' for details.

Enjoy!
czep