net tools comiling error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 1 15:02:11 PDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 01:48:33PM -0400, Jeremiah Cheatham wrote:
> I have been trying to compile net tools for a couple of months now. I
> am working off of a LFS and BLFS development install. All current
> software and when ever I try and compile net tools this is what I get.
> I cann't find any answer on google for this error.
 Patience is usually a virtue, but waiting two months before asking
might be a bit excessive :)

 I think you've probably cropped this a little unfortunately - it
doesn't show which program you are trying to compile, but we
probably won't gain anything from the repeated error messages.

> 1.60 -idirafter /tmp/net-tools-1.60/include    -c -o interface.o interface.c
> interface.c: In function 'add_interface':
> interface.c:98: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> interface.c:99: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

 These messages sound like the sort of thing you might get by
omitting one of the patches - A recent BLFS-svn has separate patches
for gcc34-3, kernel_headers-2, and mii_ioctl-1.  This isn't something I
normally build these days, but I've just applied those (plus a
tarball containing updated config stuff for x86_64) to the pure64
system I'm in at the moment, and it builds ok.  OTOH, I haven't managed
to replicate your error.

 So, please begin by deleting the net-tools-1.60 directory,
re-extracting the tarball, and applying all three patches.  If it
still fails, please check that your local copies of the patches match
what you can download (sometimes, they can get saved under the wrong
name), and then show us the gcc command and the first error message,
and also tell us which versions of gcc and the kernel's headers were
used in your LFS system.

Thanks.

Ken