unexpected crashes in Konqueror

Wilco Beekhuizen wilcobeekhuizen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 09:46:55 PDT 2007

2007/4/1, anirudh vij <anirudhvij at gmail.com>:
> konqueror has been crashing regularly with segfaults for no apparent
> reason on my computer for some time now.these crashes only happen when
> i start kde as a underpriveledged user.
> i compiled kde as mentioned in the blfs-book except for the
> --enable-final configuration option.
> i know that that this info is insufficient to diagnose the problem,but
> i dont know what to put.
> The kde crash handler reports that a SIGSEGV fault happened.gdb is not
> currently installed on my system,so i cant put the backtraces.
> all this started after i installed kde-artwork,and changed the default
> kde theme.The theme in superuser mode is still the default
> one.changing back to the default theme does not prevent crashes in
> underpriviledged user mode.
> --

Besides the good info provided by Ken you can ultimately (if nothing
seems to work) recompile konqueror with the g++ option "-g" to include
debug information and run konqueror through a memory debugger, such as
valgrind. The exact code lines in which the segfault occurs will be
shown.
But probably the best thing is to just install gdb.