BLFS 911

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 1 06:00:53 PDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 08:43:26PM -0400, Raul Taveras wrote:
> . So please be patient with me, and at the moment of answering
> anything i would really appreciate it if you can give me an example of what
> you mean or the way of doing what you mean. By the way, with my network
> interface i tried doing somethings and all i got was a warning that my eth0
> was not found. I have ADSL at home with a standard ethernet NIC. If you can
> guide me through the steps from the beginning of a regular installation or
> configuration i would really appreciate it. Thankyou
 Thanks for the background.  At the moment, the problem *sounds* as
if you won't be able to recompile gcc (and anyway, bad re-
installations *can* break the system).  But, breaking gcc in normal
use is unlikely (apart from the obvious variants on rm -rf).

 The first stage is to get you connected - that will let you
download source and use google while the error is in front of you
(in another terminal, or another xterm, depending how far you got).

 You won't be able to do all of this without internet access, so
you'll have to do what you can, go to the internet to look things up
or download, and then do the next step.  For a typical adsl
connection, the kernel has to know about the nic (so, you build the
driver in to the kernel, not as a module), and then you need
something to get a dhcp address from your isp - either dhclient or
dhcpcd.  Another possible error can be caused by renaming the
interface from eth0 (some people follow the instructions in the LFS
book for doing that when they don't need to).  Look at dmesg, and
see if the interface (eth0, I hope) shows up.  If it doesn't, you
probably didn't build the correct driver into the kernel (or you
maybe missed something else - under networking, CONFIG_UNIX is
needed for dhcp.  If you need to reconfigure the kernel, and you get
any error messages, please post them as accurately as you can,
with a little context (the lines just before the error).

 If you can't identify the nic, you really need pciutils from the
BLFS book - again, if you can't build it, post the error.

 After that, your choice of _one_ of dhclient or dhcpcd, and
configure it as in the BLFS book, with the bootscript.  I use
dhclient, so in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 I have
 ONBOOT=yes
 SERVICE="dhclient"
 DHCP_START="-1 eth0"
 DHCP_STOP="-r"

 - there is quite a lot that can be misconfigured in all of that
stuff, so please be specific about what you did if you need more
help on this part.  I also assume you aren't paying extra to get a
fixed IP address.

 When you eventually resume building the BLFS book, remember that it
isn't set out for a straight run through - most of us only build a
little of it, you will need to review all of the dependencies to try
to determine the best order in which to build the packages.  Off the
top of my head, I would suggest building the console applications
(and any servers, e.g postfix) first, then X itself (with the
dependencies it needs, e.g. libpng, expat, fontconfig, freetype, and
with xterm as a start).  After that, take a look at what is left and
break it up into parts (e.g. I build a few gnome applications, with
a lot of the supporting gnome packages, and some of kde - for me, it
is easiest to build most of the libraries after X, then the toolkits
and firefox, then the audiovideo libs and apps, and only then gnome,
with kde last of all.  Your preferred route through the book,
particularly for desktop things, could be very different and equally
valid.

Ken