Glib-1.2.10

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 29 15:04:38 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Henry christenson wrote:

> after applying the patch to glib-1.2.10
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> <normal stuff>
> checking host system type... Invalid configureation
> 'x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': Machine 'x86_64-unknown' not recongnized

 Oh, you poor fellow, you must be really desperate to try to build
glib-1.2.10 ;)  First, please consult my original postings on x86_64 and
blfs at
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2005-June/055216.html

 In this case, the important thing is to "copy config" (config.guess and
config.sub, e.g. from /usr/share/automake-whichever-version, because
that is sufficiently up to date).  Glib-1.2 is one of the packages which
has not been updated for years, and it doesn't recognise x86_64.  If you
are on x86_64-64 (pure64), please disregard my comments about /lib64 in
that post.

 My most recent pure64 desktop is documented at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/my-desktops/20060305-x86_64-64 and
I plan to update that directory for future builds on x86_64-64, x86,
x86_64 multilib (if I can be bothered to go through the pain), ppc32,
and perhaps ppc64 multilib (again, if I can face the greater pain).

If you hit problems with something that isn't mentioned, dont forget to
check the patches project - patches for architectures other than x86 are
unlikely to be mentioned in the blfs book, but we have some in the repo.
If you still have problems and your local gentoo/debian/fedora/ubuntu
mirrors don't have anything useful, you can always try asking on clfs if
it looks to be a non-i686 problem.

Ken